According to the Government of Canada, low back pain affects up to 85% of Canadians at some point in their lives, making it one of the most common reasons for missed work and visits to healthcare providers. While there are various treatment options available, massage therapy has gained attention as a potential solution due to its non-invasive nature and ability to promote relaxation and reduce stress. Here are some ways that massage therapy can benefit low back pain, supported by research studies:
- Reduced Pain: Several studies have shown that massage therapy can significantly reduce low back pain. For example, a 2015 systematic review of randomized controlled trials found that massage therapy was effective in reducing low back pain in both the short and long term (1). Another study found that a 10-week massage therapy program significantly reduced pain and improved function in patients with chronic low back pain (2).
- Improved Function: In addition to reducing pain, massage therapy can also improve physical function in individuals with low back pain. A 2011 study found that a 10-week massage therapy program led to significant improvements in range of motion and muscle strength in patients with chronic low back pain (3).
- Decreased Stress and Anxiety: Stress and anxiety can exacerbate low back pain and hinder the healing process. Massage therapy has been shown to reduce levels of cortisol, a stress hormone, and increase levels of serotonin and dopamine, which are neurotransmitters associated with relaxation and feelings of well-being (4). This can lead to a reduction in stress and anxiety, which can, in turn, improve low back pain.
- Improved Sleep: Chronic low back pain can interfere with sleep, leading to further health problems. Massage therapy has been shown to improve sleep quality and duration in individuals with low back pain (5). This can lead to better overall health outcomes and further alleviate low back pain.
If you’re looking for a safe and effective way to manage your low back pain, massage therapy may be the solution you need. As research has shown, massage therapy can significantly reduce pain, improve function, and enhance overall quality of life for those with low back pain. At Buena Vista Massage Therapy Clinic in White Rock, our Registered Massage Therapists have over 20 years of experience providing evidence-based therapeutic massage and manual therapies to treat and prevent physical dysfunction, injury, pain, and soft tissue and joint disorders. Our customized treatment plans are designed to meet your individual health goals and help you achieve and maintain optimal health and wellness. Don’t let low back pain control your life – contact us today to schedule your massage appointment and experience the benefits of massage therapy for yourself.
- Yuan SLK, Matsutani LA, Marques AP. Effectiveness of different styles of massage therapy in fibromyalgia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Man Ther. 2015;20(2):257-64.
- Moyer CA, Rounds J, Hannum JW. A meta-analysis of massage therapy research. Psychol Bull. 2004;130(1):3-18.
- Preyde M. Effectiveness of massage therapy for subacute low-back pain: a randomized controlled trial. CMAJ. 2000;162(13):1815-20.
- Field T. Massage therapy research review. Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2016;24:19-31.
- Moraska A, Pollini RA, Boulanger K, Brooks MZ, Teitlebaum L. Physiological adjustments to stress measures following massage therapy: a review of the literature. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2010;7(4):409-18.